Saturday, January 5, 2013

01/05/2013 Update

Greetings fom a brand new year.

I have been great at procrastination, this past year as well as letting my time get away with me and not managing it very well.  I can use every excuse in the book not to keep everyone updated on Peters progress but it wouldn't be a good enough of one.

We have been very blessed to have him in a great facility with excellence doctors, nurses, CNA's, and case managers that have helped our family through this entire process.  It was just last week that we thought we would have to move him to a skilled nursing facility so I went and toured the one and only one that had said they wold take him till Craig hospital in Denver had a spot, and I was in total dismay that I was in tears when leaving that this is where someone's loved one would have to be.  It was sat at that moment I decided that if no other options opened up and that was where he had to be I would bring my blankets, sanitizers, phone, computer, and stay by his side for the 18 days that he would need to be there as I felt it was not the right place for him, but it was the only way for us to get him to Craig as if we were to bring him home before going to Craig they would not accept him.
I returned to the ARU unit in tears where his case worker stopped me to ask how the visit had went and I had explained, she then Went into the weekly meeting with all the staff and doctors and they had conversations in which they all where in agreement that 2 moves for Peter where just not in his best interests, so my prayers were answered and he as able once again to stay at the ARU unit and continue with all the wonderful folks ther that have given him such love, care and understanding.

Shar made a great New Years dinner for Peter which made all the others in the unit jealous as he sat there and ate it all (wasn't a big fan of her dressing) but was kind enough to try it.  He is gaining more and more weight each day and continues to fill out in all areas of the body which is a good sign.  Shar also brought up pedicure supplies to work on Peters feet, turned i to an hour and a half project, which he Tolerated really well and now he feet are looking " normal" again and we even got a smaller and a chuckle out of hi over it.  He is getting more and more patient with each and every of us and enjoys talking and asking questions.  His walking and climbing skills are coming along and is nothing short of a miracle what he has accomplished in such a short amount of time.  All of the doctors and nurses say that all the family and friends support has such a HUGE amount to do with his success that we need to keep it up.  His short term memory is still failing but will hopefully come with time. He has been switched to a full normal diet and regular liquids which is a big deal for him as he loves orange soda and root beer.

He will be moved to Craig hospital in Englewood Colorado the week of the 15th, the first week or so we will probably be asking that we limit visitors strictly to immediate family, as this will be an adjustment time and very confusing for Peter according to the Traumatic Brain Injury Team at Craig Hospital, my plan is to be there with him for the 1st week and longer is needed during this time as they feel that it is important that family participate in the rehab process and all of his therapy session as well as attend family sessions that they offer for us to better understand how to cope, handle and care for someone with a TBI easier after they return home.  The assumption at this time is his stay at Craig old be as short as two weeks or as long as eight weeks it will depend on how well he accepts the treatment plan.

Our lives take such twist and turns and you never know which v in the road is the correct one to take and if you are making the right decision,  I often wonder each day if I am making the best decisions for Peter,  I have tried every time when making a decision to make it based off of just like he were my own child. WhenPeter is able to come home we have been able to get it set up that we will have home health, speach therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, physiological therapy, as well as a few other helpers to come into the home and help with his care as needd which will be great help to me.  It has been wonderful to have a team of medical professionals that have gone above what I ever expected them to do and offer a hand in guidance through this entire process.

I want to also say thank you to all the friends and family out there for all your continued prayers and help for without it who knows where we would be today. And lastly tomy sisters for putting up,with me I know sometimes I am not always the easiest to get along with  but I just want what is best.  Love you all I will try to keep the post coming as more updates come in with when Peters final move dates come in and what his room will be in Denver.

Cheers and a Happy New Year To All
Joanna

No comments:

Post a Comment