Sunday, January 20, 2013

Craig Hospital Update 01/20/2013

    Well I know it has been awhile since I have posted an update, but it has been quite a whirlwind of a Trip once we got down here to Craig.  We arrived safe and sound on Wednesday the 16th of January 2013.  It was sad to leave the comfort of the ARU unit in Cheyenne, but exciting know that we were going to a great facility that deals only with brain injuries.  I was extremely worried since I was the only one in the car driving Peter to Denver that we may have issues, but prior to the trip I explained what I expected out of him, i.e. , good behavior, if you need something ask, please don't grab for the door, and then I asked if he would like to watch a DVD, and was so excited that I had an old western and he said " Yes" With enthusiasm, I put it in and put his headphones on and away we went.  It was just about noon when we were just a few blocks away and i realized that he would have already missed lunch and I saw a McDonald's, I turned to him and as him if he would like to have a Double Quarter Pounder and some Fries with a Shake and he was all SMILES, I took that as a yes and pulled right in.  I waited there for him to finish before, making the short trip down the street to the hospital.
As I pulled into the bay to unload him I asked that he sit there while I find someone to help me get him checked into his new room and he did so without question.  Autumn was the nice lady that helped get a chair and told me where I need to park and that she would take him up tot the 2nd floor and he would be in room 212 where I should meet her and him as they were all expecting him and they would all get started right away.  Hmmm I said to  myself what does that mean.

    Well I soon found out that here they waste no time.   They get right down to it.  OT, PT, Physc, Speech, Rec Therapy, CNA's where all ready to get to know Peters story and take notes so that they know the best way to start and end. He was soon fitted to the bed, (they added padding as Peter said it wasn't very soft),  he was fitted to a wheelchair, (although it maybe only temporary it helps him to be more mobile on his own and to use his left leg more by pulling himself around more and that helps with his independence allot more as well),  He as adapted very well to this change better than I, his doctors, and anyone could have hoped he would have. 

    He was soon wheeled off for another round of precautionary test, CT, MRI, Ultrasounds, X-rays, Pictures, etc, they error completely on the side of caution.  I even had to take training and test to be able to help him with transfers and to be able to take him, without a CNA or a tech, outside, to the rec center, to his meals, so I was able to do the training in the 1st two days that I have been here and amazingly I passed and have been approved to have the on campus pass,  I must do more testing in order to have the off campus pass, I will continue this, this week so that it will only improve my knowledge for when he comes home. 

    Dad, Mike and Dora were able to come down on Friday night which was very nice to have the company as Peter does ask what dad and Mike are doing on a daily basis,(sometimes I feel like chopped liver lol), it was very nice that they had that time together and Mike, Dora and I were able to spend some family time together as well, we haven't had much of that lately and I am sure Dora feels the effects of that too. 

      We were able to make it to the Stock show for the Wild West Show which she was overjoyed to Video the whole thing to show to Peter, bless her heart she thinks to much of him and she misses having him at home, she ask all the time when he is coming home and I wish that I had a concrete answer because that would mean I would know when I am going to be home as well. We were also able to make it to the late Rodeo of which we sat in front row by the roping chutes which of course she loved because she was on camera the entire time the ropers, steer wrestlers, or anything else was going on at that end of the arena.

  Today was a rough day for me saying goodbye to Mike, Dora and Dad knowing that once again I would be here by myself as I miss my family, but I know that Peter really needs me here and that Sharleen and Mike have it under control and I need to learn to let someone else take on that burden as much as I will let them.  I have been attending all of the OT, PT, Rec. Therapy, Speech Therapy, Physc. Therapy, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and it makes for a very long day just for me, Peter seems to be handling it very well,  Today he even went to the recreation room and WATCHED FOOTBALL with HIS GUYS,  it is great that he is getting to know those on the floor with him, it really makes me smile as he starts to socialize a little bit more, he does get tired and has been getting in rest in between which is good the team says, and they a right on top on anything that we have concerns about, wither it be, hearing, eyes, weight, walking, etc. and they have a wonderful open door policy.  All the doctors, nurses, cna's, techs are all great and Nice to work with and are so willing to help us all learn which is what I and our whole family need at this point because this is such a different injury then what he had before that after rehab we will still be dealing with issues at home and having tools in our so called toolbox to take home with us will be worth so much.
    I am hoping to be able to pick up Dad and Dora again next Friday in Cheyenne after her basketball game and bring them back to Denver to spend the weekend with Peter as the have a outing to the Museum of Nature History which I am hopeful all will enjoy :) and it really gives dad and Peter that one on one time that Peter is desperately craving at this point from dad.
  
      Peter has a full week already planned out for him which includes recreation time, speech, OT, PT, Physc, rest time, I am fully involved in all of the therapy session as that is what the doctors and staff have asked and I am willing to do as much or ask little as they want just as long as it is a help in getting Peter home sooner and in the best shape that he can be in. They have even been able to upgrade him from having someone in the room with him all the time since he has learned to push the nurse button and talk to them and let them know what he needs to just having them watch him on the camera from a nurses station just a few doors down which is a big big big improvement.

     Right now the visiting hours are fairly limited and are from 5pm to 730pm and I would ask that you call me at 307-631-6797 ahead of time just in case we have some rec activities planned so that we can be in the room and can expect you.

     A big thank you goes out to the ARU unit in Cheyenne as they did a fabulous job in getting Peter to this point because without that team of doctors, nurses, CNA's, techs Peter would not have been able to make it to Craig hospital and get this level of care so for that I will forever be grateful and once we get back to Cheyenne you can be you will be one of our first stops to show you how much he has improved.

     I am staying on campus here at Craig full time for the time being the apartment phone number is 303-789-8477 or my personal cell phone for which I carry all the time is 307-631-6797

We have set up a " For the Benefit Account for Peter Eickbush" at Oregon Trail Bank at any of the branches in Guernsey, Chugwater, and Cheyenne, so those that wish to can contribute. If you would like to have the account information so you can just transfer please contact Naomi Loomis or Joanna Lulf and we can get that informaton for you.

    OK so the address for the Postal Service is  3425 S. Clarkson St. Engle wood, CO 80113 Attn: Peter Eickbush Room 212 C/O Guest Servies
    Fed Ex and UPS: 3427 S. Emerson Street Engle Wood, CO 80113 Attention: Peter Eickbush Apt: 201

1 comment:

  1. It is great to hear Peter is progressing. Glad for the update. :) Hugs, Aunt KathyKathy

    ReplyDelete