Thursday, November 22, 2012

11/22/2012 Peter Eickbush Update

Today is Thanksgiving and we have a lot to be thankful for.
1.) Peter is doing much better and making great strides in recovery.  Great strides that is for a brain injury, they are baby steps but none the less for him they are big.
2.) We have wonderful family and friends that have been a great support system and the prayers have been a great help.

Today Peter was able to take his own spoon and pick up the food him self and eat which is an improvement from yesterday, every meal he has cleaned up his plate.  He even tried cleaning off the fork that I was using to help portion control what he was taking........made Shar and I have a good laugh.  We brought up apple cinnamon applesauce and he slurped it all down.   That part of him hasn't changed a bit.  Hint hint maybe this will be. Good tool to use to get him to do other things during recovery. Hmmmmmm.  Aunt Noaleen you better get your mixer ready as we are going to need lots of potatoes :).
Even today they did PT which went well for him, they assisted him in standing for the first time and it seemed to have gone as well as could be expected.   I have asked him several times for high fives and he has given me them so he is understanding me pretty well.

Sharleen made a fab. Thanksgiving dinner for which I was grateful, I went over there and promptly fell asleep. Hmmm must have been tired, but it was good eating afterward .

Tomorrow Peter will be moved from ICU to a regular surgical floor so I will post that information as soon as I know what that is, the doctors feel that he will need several weeks of intense therapy to see how much he will be able to regain,  he is still not verbalizing vocally, I feel this may be a little bit of stubbornness as he looks right at us and has that look like I just don't want to do it right now. When we are stern with him he will do what's asked. And when we are not stern he will not.
He is still slow with his left side but every day it seems to improve little by little.

Well that is all for tonight as I am going to head home and get some rest for the day tomorrow.

Keep the prayers coming as we all know God works wonders for all.


Joanna

No comments:

Post a Comment