Thursday, December 6, 2012

Pete from My Eyes 2

I thought I would add to the blog a little about Pete from Tuesday. 

I arrived in Cheyenne about 9:30 or so.  I dropped the kids off at school and then went to see Pete.  When I arrived in Pete's room the CNA told me that Pete had a really rough night and that he hadn't slept the night before and so he was resting.  I spoke to Pete, and his eyes barely opened.  I told him that I hadn't drove from Nebraska to watch him sleep.
He then really opened his eyes.

The CNA told me how lucky Pete was because he had such a supportive family and friends.  I could not disagree.  As I was driving to Cheyenne, I was also praying.  Is that wrong?  It was quiet in the car and my thoughts run together like a river.  I had to ask God for his help.   My mind gets so busy that its hard to control.  Do you know how that feels?  Anyway I am thankful for all the support that we have and I am personally thankful for each of YOU.

Pete was scheduled for Speech Therapy.  The Speech therapist said that I could join.  I was pleasantly surprised.  HE WROTE HIS NAME.  I can not lie, I had tears in my eyes.
I have not been able to be there alot, and I have heard about what Pete can do but it just not the same.
He also could pick up things like a hammer, or a comb, when asked to pick it up.  He knew.  He also got to have a pop.  He loved that.  I asked a TON of questions.  I am new at brain injuries. 
I learned that:
Everyone's brain heals different. 
Brain injuries effect everyone differently.  Pete shows a lot of signs of that.  The therapists explained that his jerky movements, his writing things over and over are all signs of that.
That it takes about 10 seconds for Pete to process your questions.
I am very thankful for people like the therapist that are there to help Pete for I know nothing about it.

We then took Pete back to his room and it was lunch time for Pete.  It was mashed potatoes, soup, a fruit and some kind of juice.  It was all liquid.  I helped him eat and he liked the mashed potatoes the best!!! 
After lunch I had some one and one with Pete.  I asked Pete some questions like:
Who am I?
His response-Naomi
Where do I live?
His response-Nebraska
I asked him if he could remember all my kids. 
His response- YEP
I was so Happy that he could remember.  My heart was singing. 
We also got stickers out and I put them on his hands.  I would ask him to give Laurel the football and he could.  He know what the colors were.  We had fun.  And I so enjoyed my time with Pete.  I know that it sound like that we had a long conversation but really it was all about me asking Pete and him answering one word answers and it took time.  But I am thankful that I had time to sit and wait and listen.
Pete still can not move his left arm and leg.  I tried to put a sticker on his right side and see if he would try to pull off the sticker but he couldn't. 
Cody, the kids and I went to Chadron Special Meeting last Sunday and we heard that we are not on a straight road.  The road has curves but we have someone that can help us thru the curves.  I feel like as a family we have a curve right now and I am so thankful that we have someone on our side to help us thru.  I can not imagine what it is to be Pete right now.  But I do know that he has shown me so much that I need to improve.  He doesn't even know.

As I left that afternoon to return to Nebraska I had a rush of emotions. I can say that Pete still needs prayers and that our family need them also.
Pete has a long road ahead of him. 

It's about LOVE
It's about compassion
It's about kindness & Faith
IT has nothing to do with luck
You get what you give so give it all.

Naomi

3 comments:

  1. Great Post, Naomi!

    Did you know that Pete kept that football on his shirt all evening?

    I liked your idea of challenging him in subtle ways. Putting the stickers on his injured arm to see if he would reach for them. He really interacted with you.

    Yes, that was a hard day. I think I sat with him about 6 hours. I was grateful he agreed to let me give him a foot reflexology treatment as I applied medication lotion to his feet.

    I am glad for all who have expressed their love & concern for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very nicely put Naomi. I am so greatful for all your patience and kindness. Yes Peter is such an inspiration for us all to see the simple things in life and really concentrate on those. Thank You so much for Posting I really do appreciate it as I would have last evening but I could barely keep my eyes open.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Naomi. It's hard to see our loved ones suffer and have to relearn so many things that we take for granted. Know that you are all in our thoughts, especially Peter. Just take it one day at a time. Myrna

    ReplyDelete