Saturday, December 8, 2012

Peter Update From Joanna

Well a week away sure does change how much progress you see in someone.   When I left a week ago I was weary and afraid and uncertain if I should even leave Peter as I have stood by his bedside in constant vigil with hope and love, knowing that God works miracles.  I had many, many phone calls and updates as I had "requested" from my sisters, nurses, and anyone else that I could get to talk to me about his progress while I was gone as like a mother looking over her children, I didn't want to miss a thing.  I really don't think that I realized how much of a difference there was going to be though until I walked into his room this morning and he woke up and said for the 1st time good morning Joanna, I Love You,  and then,  Proceeded to ask if he could please come home with me.  I of course told him no and had to turn away for a moment as tears came to my eyes as I so want him home as I miss him so much.

Many of you many not really realize how long of a road this is for him, we are going to be leaving the ARU unit on the 14th of December and will be heading to a different Rehab facility, we are not sure which one yet or where it will be, but this is going to be a long, long process and it takes months, and even years to recover for a TBI, and for Peter it is about consistency, love, family, rehab, and nutrition, making sure that he is getting the best care that we can for him, making sure that US as a family, and family to me is not just "blood" we are all family in God's eyes,  are there for him to pick his spirits up when they fall, making sure that others are there to encourage him a long the way.  It is so important I realized to stay positive and to keep your head up for him because he can sense it even if you try to hide it.

He has gained 5 lbs or so in the last few days, and as always has a great appetite,  he had a bad fall last week and had to go for another CT scan which came back clear but it kept us on our toes.  He is slowing regaining some use of his left leg, still not a lot of movement in his left arm, but after talking with the doctors they say that the sooner we get it moving the better because the longer it goes without moving, the more likely it is that that arm or leg will stay immobile.   We hope that that is not the case but getting him into another Rehab would continue the work that has been started and would most likely continue the progress and increase the chances of him upswing those limbs again.   He ask what he can do to help all the time so hat is so great to see, love it, when he is getting ready to sit up,to eat or needs to go to the chair, his response is what can I do,  the willingness is just unbelievable and shows me what a great spirit he truly does have.  

For now he is still in room 314 at the ARU Unit at the old DePaul hospital in Cheyenne and will be until the 14th.  Visitors are always welcome and he really does enjoy it.   Thanks to everyone for all your love and support.

1 comment:

  1. We think of you all always as this daily battle goes. Prayers are a mighty power and knowing and seeing that God is near is a comfort. I so enjoy the posts of each of you that is a help to me as well. Peter, we are inspired by you. Love to you all. Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete