Friday, December 14, 2012

Peter is Staying Put Till At Least the End of Dec Update 12/14/2012

As the time keeps on passing by it seems like the days are going together and I keep loosing track of what day it is.  It seems like just yesterday that the accident happened and I had gotten the phone call.   Everyday seems like a struggle just to get through and then I remember what Peter must be feeling like on the inside and unable to express but in those brief moments of "outburst's" as we are calling them.

We are glad to say the Craig Hospital in Denver has conditional accepted Peter for their Rehab program, they have a top notch brain injury rehab program and will be keeping him there for 3-6 weeks, however they do not have a bed until the 3rd of January.  This means that he will be staying at his current rehab until Craig has a bed.  Now I say conditional because they will be coming up on Tuesday to review and speak with us and make sure that he fit protocol!!!!!  I am so thankful that we finally have a YES from someone after all the long line of No's from all the other's.  It has been a long road thus far and Peter has come such a long way.
Today Peter was showing of for me on the parallel bars with his walking skills, yes I did say walking skills, now even though he still can not walk without the assistance of an aid beside him or the bars his LEFT leg has started to respond and now his left are is slowing responding as well.  We are so excited for him and I try to show how much I am each and every time I see him as it seems to help lift his spirits. 

As with all brain injury's you never know what to expect so,  this is no different with Peter, he has good times and bad times, and we just keep reminding him of what he can do, and how much he has already accomplished, as he has come so far in such a short amount of time.  He gets agitated very easily and so we are mindful of this in how we are approaching his therapy and care.  We still have to remind him every day of the accident, where he is, who his therapists are, who his nurses are, why he can't go home just yet, why he is not the same as he was before, why yelling is not nice, etc and this does seem to help him understand, but it is a process that does have to be repeated everyday as his short term memory is not working well at this time.

Peter does enjoy visiting for short periods of time and then he likes to rest and then likes to visit or do activities, he remembers things from years ago, and is starting to joke around a little which puts a smile on my face.  I have really learned from him over the last few weeks how the little things in life can be so enjoyable,  how could I have really forgotten them?  Well I sure did,  I am thankful for all the family and friends that have been a great help and continue to be a great help through these times as this is what really matters.

So for now Peter will stay in Room 314 Cheyenne Regional's East Building Acute Rehab Unit
2600 East 18th Street
3rd Floor

1 comment:

  1. It was good to "catch up" with Peter today. I am so glad that he is making progress and that there is hope for him to go to Craig. I think it is a very good rehab center. Keep up the good work, Peter.:-)

    ReplyDelete